Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving in Honduras

This was my first Thanksgiving ever away from my family.  But I received an invitation to join my Tela "family" and went up there for a day or two.  I stayed with my good friend Stace who is a gringo teacher at Espíritu Sancto.  We had a delightful dinner at a local restaurant where the power went out just as the meal was served.  But we talked about our spiritual journeys and how God had lead us here and how He continues to work in us.  And that was a great blessing.

Thanksgiving morning began with a service at the church with all the students from the school.  It was such a blessing to see the success of the school and how closely they work with the church, not to mention seeing all those gorgeous happy faces of the children.  It was raining like crazy, so after the service I went back to Stace's apartment and took a long nap.

That evening, Reverenda Olga Barrera (who I love) had invited us to her house for a Thanksgiving celebration.  There were about 25 people there and the food was non-stop and delicious.  It was so wonderful being with my old friends and some new ones.  The number of people who speak English in Tela is much greater than anywhere else I work and that was surely a pleasure.  There was also some great  music provided by Olga's daughter Swami and You Tube.  There was dancing.  I danced.  I danced at Thanksgiving and it was great.  I danced with Olga's mom who has the greatest smile and not at all shabby on the dance floor.  A little samba, a little salsa, some rumba mixed in with a little "punta," a native dance.  What a wonderful Thanksgiving!  Thanks to Olga and Stace.  And my dear Swami.

No comments:

Post a Comment