Tuesday, August 11, 2015

time out

Haven't blogged in a while because I have been really busy.  For the last 6 weeks or so I have had back to back groups and spent only 5 nights of that period in my own bed.  I had Incarnation of Dallas in Copan on a construction and medical mission.  40 some odd wonderful folks that were a joy to be with and treated me with such kindness and generosity.  They saw some 500 people in the clinic and another 100 in the dental clinic.  The construction team financed and took part in the pouring of a huge slab at a church we have been working on for some 12 years.  Too many people to thank on that group, Larry, Martha, Lynn...just too many, not to mention our Honduran hosts, Carlos Garza and Rev. Concepción.  Great trip!

Had to leave near the end of their trip and  make the 5 1/2 hour trek back to Siguatepeque to take care of a burned up pump situation on our well at the school.  Many, Many thanks to Steve Rodgers for providing a new pump for us. Further improvements to the system are underway.

A day later, back in the road to hit it back to San Pedro to pick up the Sequoia Deanery Medical Mission team, from California.  They were returning to Matanazales after a four year absence.  They saw another 530 plus people in five days.  Very successful and a great team.  Thanks to Sue and Betty for all you do.  And for the loving people of Matazanales for having everything set up and ready when we arrived.  That was huge blessing.

I had a few days off and then my own beloved St. John's of Montgomery AL were with me.  Construction and VBS for the first week and medical for the second week.  Two very nice weeks in Tela.  This is the team that made we want to move here and work full time with the church.  I loved being with my old friends in Tela as well as the "newbies" on the team.  There was some new construction at the school which we were able to get painted.  VBS was such wonderful fun with these beautiful children and Rev. Olga.  The medical team saw something like 1200 people in 5 or 6 days.  And the people at the church as well as all our good friends at Cesar Mariscos Hotel were as loving and welcoming as always.  God bless St. John's for their incredible support over this past year!

People ask me sometimes about the effectiveness of short term mission teams and if they make any long term difference.  I understand their questions.  Teams plan an entire year for a 10 day trip.  (That idea boggles the minds of most Hondurans who don't plan for anything more than two weeks out.)  The groups breeze in and do their thing and breeze back out, back home to the multiples of things we enjoy as North Americans, multiple cars, multiple houses, "bonus rooms," multiple opportunities, and such an abundance and variety of food sources it is unbelievable. The Hondurans go back to their standard menus of rice and beans three times a day and their lack of quality health care, opportunities and education, transportation and clean water.  But I will tell you this, any progress made on any construction project is due to the generosity of the visiting groups.  The people here are more than willing to do the work and to work with us, though we are basically unskilled, but they just don't have the money to buy the materials.  And as far as the medical teams are concerned, they are providing much needed medical care to people who otherwise, just don't have it.  The state of medical care in Honduras is deplorable.  92 million DOLLAR deficit this year.  Without the help of the teams, health care basically doesn't exist.  So I have learned to leave the long term results up to God himself and just pray that He helps me help these teams accomplish that which He wishes for them to accomplish on any given day.  And it does make a difference!

So I'm resting up from some jamb packed days.  Still got some things going on, but also taking care to take care of myself.  I'll be home in Alabama for a week on the 20th of August to renew my passport.  Please pray for the construction of the new school building at San Juan School.  It has stalled as a result of a lack of funding.  Pray for the teachers and the administrators.  Pray for me as I continue to learn and grow into this position and that I find help when I need it.  I need some language training and need some help getting my residency papers.  And please pray for the Bishop, the clergy, lay leaders and missionaries working in the Diocese of Honduras.  Pray also for my dear friend Avis.

God bless,  bob

No comments:

Post a Comment